The Gesell Institute of Human Development introduced the idea of developmental placement of children after realizing that all children are not ready for a classroom situation according to their chronological age alone. The developmental concept maintains that a child's chronological age and maturation level are separate.
Several areas of behavior are measured in the Gesell Developmental Observation (GDO):
- Fine motor
- Personal-social development
- Adaptation - the ability to learn in the form of attention span, concentration, responsiveness to teaching and attention to detail
Experienced testing professionals determine school readiness and grade appropriate placement for students entering kindergarten through third grades by assessing each young student's ability to cope with the school environment, emotionally and academically, without stress.
Experienced testing professionals determine school readiness and grade appropriate placement for students entering kindergarten through third grades at CCS. Developmental placement is determined by the (GDO) Gesell Developmental Observation.
To learn more, please visit the website for the Gesell Institute.
- Developmental placement is determined by the Gesell Developmental Observation.
- Learning readiness is present at birth. Children are always learning.
- Environmental factors, such as educational stimulation, tutoring and preschool, can support and enhance growth, but they cannot hurry nor can they change the maturation of a child.
- Overplaced children are those children who go to school before they are developmentally ready. Overplaced children do not catch up. Teaching, tutoring and training will not make an overplaced child developmentally ready for the next grade.
- Contrary to popular belief, "most" children do not tease others about their placement in school. The few who do can be discouraged by the simple reply from your child: "This is what my parents wanted for me."
- Parents are placing their children under stress when they place them in situations for which they are not developmentally ready.
- The Gesell Developmental Observation is a sophisticated developmental assessment which is very accurate for determining correct school placement.