The primary goal of the CCS Art Department is to equip students to be servants of Jesus Christ in their generation. And since this generation is a visual generation, classes will prepare students through the creative process and will give them a foundation that will enable them to be more marketable in the world of work.
The Secondary Art Department seeks to honor God through service to the community.
Each spring, art students participate in TAPPS Competitions (District, Regional and State).
The annual "Art Night" is held each spring. Select pieces by art students are exhibited. In addition, fellow artists are encouraged to display their work. Donations are accepted to help support the Art Department at CCS.
Seniors who are going into the field of art have the opportunity to apply for the annual CCS Art Scholarship awarded at graduation.
Mrs. Michele Bennett earned a Bachelor of Science in Art Education from Texas Tech University. She has taught art since 1977 and taught at CCS since the fall of 2002. She is ACSI accredited. Her vast experience and credentials are a blessing to the Art Department:
- Illustrator of children's books
- Designer of worship banners, puppets, jewelry, costumes, set design for drama productions
- Coordinator for TAPPS Art Contests, Art Shows and Various Art Contests
- Developer of curriculum for art students studying the Bible
- Leader for Precept Ministry
- Leader for youth and college ministries
- Facilitator for the Truth Project
"God has given me understanding in the area of the arts and a love for His Word. I pray that I can be a faithful steward of both. I am so grateful for the opportunities I have had at Cypress Christian. I feel like this has been a place where God has grown me and matured me. This is my school and I am forever His student."
Coach Greg Bretz is a graduate of Oral Roberts University, where he majored in Commercial Art. He is finalizing his ACSI certification and holds a CDL license. He taught and worked in the field of graphic arts before joining the Cypress Christian team in 2007. Over the years, Coach Bretz has competed in various art competitions and won awards for his work. His talent in graphic arts can be seen throughout the campus. Over the last two years, our campus has come alive with school spirit as a result of the Coach's "Warrior Design" projects. From the baseball dugouts to the gym to the hallways of the classroom buildings, Warrior Spirit is alive and well thanks to his talents and hard work.
See related Art stories in the CCS CONNECTION magazine:
- Summer 2012 - Art Awards
- Fall 2011 - "Fine Arts News"
- Summer 2011 - "Art Achievements and Honors"
- Fall 2010 - "Secondary Art"
- Fall 2009 - "CCS students have valuable options when it comes to choosing a Fine Arts class!"
- Summer 2009 - "TAPPS State Art Contest"
- Spring 2009 - "Art News by Michele Bennett"
- Spring 2008 - "God is the Creator and we rejoice to be able to create and use the skills He has given us."
- Fall 2008 - "Changes Benefit Art Department"